BUREAU OF SAILORS-STATION INFORMATION
Brief History/Functions of the BOS.
1. The Bureau of Sailors shifted to its present location in 1982. Prior to that it was located at INS Angre, known as Drafting Office and functioned under the Administrative Control of Commodore Naval Barrack. On 19 Nov 79, the Drafting Office became an independent unit and was named Bureau of Sailors.
2. The Bureau of Sailors is a premiere Naval Organisation being the record office of all the serving and retired sailors of the Indian Navy. The Bureau under takes all activities connected with a sailors entry into the service, his professional courses, transfers, promotions, re-engagement, retirement and post retirement from service. In a nutshell, it carries out all Human Resources related activities of all serving and retired sailors of the Navy.
3. The BOS is located at Cheetah Camp at a distance of 1 km from BARC, 2 Kms from Mankhurd local railway station and 35 kms North East of Colaba. The Bureau is well connected to all the suburbs of the city. There are regular bus services from NOFRA Mankhurd gate to other parts of the city.
Details of Arrival.
4. The various routes connecting CABS, Mumbai are given below:
(a) Mumbai is well connected by most of the international and Domestic Air Carriers. From the Airport you may hire a taxi to reach Mankhurd directly by road.
(b) For train travel, get to Santacruz, the nearest railway station for boarding local trains. From Santacruz take a train to Dadar/(Western Line), from Dadar to Kurla/(Central Line) and from Kurla to Mankurd (harbour line) local railway station, from where you can take an autorikshaw to NOFRA Mankhurd.
(c) BEST Bus No. 6 Ltd starting from Navy Nagar, Colaba via Mumbai CST brings you right at the main gate of the NOFRA/BOS.
(d) If traveling by Central Railway, you can get down at Dadar railway station and from Dadar follow the local train route as in (b) above. Prior intimation of your arrival and accommodation requirements will enable the Bureau to make necessary admin arrangements for your reception.
5. Family Accommodation.
(a) NOFRA Mankhurd has 22 flats for married officers and the overflow is catered for at MS Ghatkopar. The officers generally get accommodation either at Bureau or Ghatkopar within 02 to 03 months of reporting.
(b) The family accommodation may be provided depending upon the availability. The sanction for construction of 06 Lieutenant scale accommodation has been accorded and these houses are likely to be constructed by Mid 2003.
6. Single Officers Accommodation. The Naval Officers’ Mess Mankhurd has 04 cabins for single officers. The cabins are also allotted to officers borne on ty duty if any, and married officers on permanent duty to the Bureau till such time they get married accommodation. However, married officers when permitted to stay with families are not allowed to cook in the cabins and must have all their meals along with family in the Blue Room of the Mess.
7. Transit Accommodation. There is no transit accommodation available at Mankhurd. However, as per Station Orders an officer can live with his family in the Naval Officers’ Mess Mankhurd as explained above.
8. Rental Accommodation. At the time of printing, rented accommodation is available in Mankhurd area within the HRA limits.
9. The Bureau of Sailors boasts of well established facilities which aid in the overall development of personality of the Bureau Ships Coy. The important facilities available are enumerated in the succeeding paragraphs.
(a) Kendriya Vidyalaya, Mankhurd is located at Nausena Baugh. This has been designated as a model KV and has classes from 1st to 12th standard (two streams namely Science and Commerce are available at Plus 2 stage). Classes – upto XII. Timing – 0730 to 1300 hrs.
(b) Atomic Energy Central School at BARC residential area (Anu Shakti Nagar) which follows CBSE syllabus. Classes – upto X. Location – 2 Km from BOS. Timings – 0700 to 1300 hrs. Bus facility available.
(c) St.Gregory High School, Chembur – follows ICSE Syllabus. Classes – upto X. Location – 4 Km from BOS. Timings – 0800 to 1500 hrs.
(d) OLPS High School, Chembur – for boys only which follows the state syllabus. Classes – upto X. Location – 4 Km from BOS.
(e) St.Antony High School, Chembur – for girls only which also follows the state syllabus. Classes – upto X. Location – 4 Km from BOS. Timings – 1230 to 1730 hrs. Bus facility available.
(f) Stepping Stone, Naval KG School at Nausena Baugh, Mankhurd comprising of Nursery, LKG and UKG classes. Timings – 0900 to 1230 hrs.
11. Medical Facilities. The Bureau has a MI Room which is situated in the Bureau premises. Normal medical facilities are available in the MI Room however, serious cases which require the attention of specialist medical officers are referred to INHS Asvini which is at a distance of 30 kms approx from the Bureau. Officers may avail the MI Room Transport to visit INHS Asvini as and when required as per the availability of transport. A routine transport is also available on every Saturday for INHS Asvini.
12. Canteen Facilities. We have a unit canteen which is well stocked. The canteen remains open from 0900 to 1200 h and from 1300 h to 1700 h on all working days i.e from Monday to Friday.
13. Sports. A healthy mind can reside only in a healthy body. The Bureau has a glorious tradition of conducting regular sports activities to boost the men and increase interaction between officers and men. Participation in sports is compulsory and is a contributory factor for performance evaluation. Organised sports are held from 1600 to 1730 h. The Bureau boasts of a full-fledged Foot Ball, Volley Ball, Basket Ball, Cricket Grounds, open Badminton Court and Gymnasium. A small Swimming Pool is under construction at Nau Sena Baugh. Those who desire to avail the swimming facilities they can use the MS Ghatkopar and Navy Nagar Swimming Pools. In addition to the above outdoor games the indoor games like Table Tennis, Chess, Carrom and Billiards are also available.
14. Recreational. The nearest Cinema Halls are available at Chembur at a distance of 3-4 kms from NOFRA.
15. Cable TV. The Cable TV facility is available in Officers’ Mess and at NOFRA. The monthly subscription towards this facility is Rs. 70/- per month. Internet connection is also available at NOFRA through Cable Net work at Rs.1500/- (Deposit) and Rs.500/- per month.
16. Market/Shopping Complex. A shopping complex comprising of Flour Mill, Two wheeler repair shop, provisions store, stationery, Internet cafƒ© & PCO/STD/ISD, Tailoring Shop and Fast Food shops are situated in Nausena Baugh near to NOFRA.. In addition there are shops to meet the day to day requirements at TIFR and BARC colonies in the vicinity of the Bureau. There is also a market at Cheetah Camp and near Mankhurd Railway Station within a radius of 02 kms of the Bureau which have shops catering to the various requirements. The large suburb of Mumbai, Chembur is only 05 kms from the Bureau and has various markets catering to all the requirements. The nearest gas agency Anmol Gas(HP Gas) is located at BARC Shopping Complex (Hastinapur) and Bharat Gas is available near Govandi Station (Amardeep Gas Agency). Prominent shopping complexes around the area are Shoppers Stop, Akbarallys and many others.
17. Restaurants. Restaurants are located in abundance in and around BOS. Some of the popular ones in Chembur area are Celebrations/ Yogi/ Beijing/ Oceanic/ Kamat/ Oceanic/ Dosa Dinner/ Sridevi/ Barista. Nearest McDonald’s joint is available at Vashi.
18. Banking Facilities. An extension counter of the Punjab National Bank is located in the Bureau Premises. The normal banking hours is from 0900 h to 1400 h and on Saturdays from 0900 h to 1100 h. The Central Bank of India with locker facilities is available at Mandala which is 01 km away from the Bureau. An ICICI ATM facility is available at BARC and HDFC ATM facility near Anu Shakti Nagar Bus Stand. All major Banks are available at Chembur.
19. Post Office. The Bureau Mailman collects mail and delivers at Deonar/Chembur Post office once a day. In addition, there is a sub post office operating within the single sailors’ accommodation complex. Money Orders and Registration can be made from here. The working hours of the post office is from 0900 h to 1400 h on all working days and from 0900 h to 1000 h on Saturdays.
20. Barber/Dhobi/Tailoring Shops. Barber/Dhobi/ Tailoring shops are situated in the single sailors’ accommodation complex.
21. Health Club. In addition to the above facilities we have a Health Club which is situated in the Bureau premises. The club has most of the equipment. However, a new full fledged Health Club is underway in the NOM Mankhurd complex.
22. PCO/STD/ISD. At present the Bureau does not have any PCO/STD/ISD facilities. However, facilities are available nearby at a distance of 1 km from NOFRA.
23. Library. The Bureau has a well stocked library on the ground floor of the Kuthar Building with latest magazines, periodicals and various other books. In addition one Library exists at NWWA Kendra for children and families.
24. Children’s Park. Children’s parks have been set up at NOFRA and Nausena Baugh.
25. Wet Canteen. The Wet Canteen is situated on the ground floor of the Administrative Block which provides refreshment facilities to both service and civilian personnel.
26. Transportation of luggage/ Unloading/ Stowage. Civilian Casual Labourers are available during working hours for loading/ unloading of luggage. Adequate stowage facility is available in officer’s luggage room. However, Car ramp is not available in the vicinity.
27. Transport. The various modes of transportation available to reach CABS are as follows:
(a) Train. The nearest railway station from the Bureau for locals is Mankhurd, which is on Harbour Line and it is around 02 kms away from the Bureau. The interval time between the trains upto Mumbai CST is around 10 minutes. The local trains for Andheri depart at 1635, 1735 and 1850 hrs.
(b) Bus Service. The following bus services are available for the various places are as follows:-
|Route No ||Destination |
|6 Ltd ||Navy Nagar |
|352 ||Sion |
|52 Ltd ||7 Bangalow |
|355 ||Worli Sea Face |
|360 ||Kurla Station |
|364 ||Mahul |
|369 ||Mankhurd Rly Stn |
|380 ||Amrit Nagar |
|399 ||Thane |
Bus Service for other places is available from Anu Shakti Nagar. Bus Depot located on Sion – Trombay Road 2 km away from the Bureau.
28. Telephone Numbers
(a) CABS Exchange - 022-25563320, 25563325 (DID)
(b) CABS FAX - 022-25564642
(c) DSO/QMaster - Extn 5550
(d) Quarter Master - Extn 5444
(e) Drafting Cdr - Extn 5402 (O); 5502 (R)
(f) NOM Mankhurd - Extn 5540
| || |
Postal Address :
Bureau of Sailors
Cheetah Camp, Mankhurd
Mumbai – 400 088
|E-mail to us at : |
Copyright © by Indian Navy Information Resource and Facilitation Centre All Right Reserved.